Sunday, July 20

We've made it to 4 months

A Bit Blurry but cute expression

Well we're not at 4 months (well a few days late posting). She is getting so big and is really more of a person than ever before. She's become very interactive and interested in the world around her which is fun and challenging. But she still has kept her awesome stank face.

First she is still loving her hands, as always, and loves to suck on fabric like blankets. That hasn't changed much. Daddy is still her source of big laughs and she's really figured out how to giggle. I can't get enough of her giggle! She's also become quite a talker. She has so much to say and does a tonne of cooing and babbling. Usually its in the moments before she becomes tired and ready for a nap, so it's hard to not encourage her into over tiredness, but I love her chatting. Probably I love it more than her smile because the sounds are just so so cute.
Eating blankets for her daily intake of cotton
Hands are hours of entertainment
In addition to the talking there are some other big changes that have come this month. In particular, she is loving to look around at the world. She turns for any sounds that come by and when someone is talking she just has to watch them. This has made feeding a bit of a nightmare (remember to unhook before turning has not come yet) as she is continually looking around. If someone comes to talk to me while feeding she has to unlatch so that she can listen to them too. So it's meant I need to find a pretty secluded place to nurse if I'm going to not make a mess. Her favourite thing is to signal that mealtime is over but looking up at me and cooing and smiling. I'm hoping that she's saying "That's delicious, mommy, thanks for the milk" but she could be saying "Glad that's over, now I can play"

Being more interested in the world means that she loves singing songs, especially when there are actions or clapping. She is totally rapt when I sing fun songs to her. We listen to baby music in the car and it definitely calms her down/makes drives more interesting. Song have become so interesting that I can't even use lullabies to soothe her to sleep because the jazz her too much. I think eventually we'll need to make it to baby lap time at the library because they do so many action songs and she would love it! But it's at 10:15 and we are not morning people (more on that later). I did go to get her library card so that we can read more stories (thankfully a more diverse selection!) and she seems to like the new books, but she still loves her faces book and seems to prefer holding and turning pages rather than the actual story.

Physically she is changing quite a bit too. At 17 weeks she found her feed and now diaper changes also mean time to play with feet. She'll play with them other times, but something about diaper changes triggers the memory that feet are for fun. Sometimes it's funny because she'll hold her sleeper but no toes and will kick inside the sleeper, which flings her arm around. It sort of baffles her. She's great at holding toys and has learned that flinging is fun. I'm not sure its intentional but she can get some distance. Maybe baseball one day? She loves to stand up with peoples help and straightens her legs quite a bit.

We're also relieved to report that her hip dysplasia is nearly resolved. She's been wearing two diapers since birth to keep her hips stable, but at the last X-ray the orthopaedic paediatrician gave us the all clear to stop double diapering. She is loving the leg freedom, though we are missing always having a back up diaper handy. They will keep monitoring her until she's a year old, but we don't have to worry about difficulty walking or future complications anymore. Yay!

She's still not rolling over, but loves to sit up - mostly because it helps her look around. Rolling over practice (I help her roll from front to back) is probably in her top 10 least favourite things ever. But I'm sure eventually she'll get to like it.

Other thing she hates: the pool! We took her to the pool and she whimpered or cried pretty much the whole time. I had her in the water sling, but I'm not sure if it was the bright lights, the noise, the water or the cooler temperature that had her on the brink the entire time. We were there with her little friend Josie who is 2 months older and Josie thought it was fantastic, so there's hope for the Bean. We'll keep trying and hopefully she comes around. It's tricky because she has such a narrow window for play between her very regular eating and sleeping.

Sleeping - well we were hit by the 4 month sleep regression pretty much right after she turned 3 months old. It's hard to know if it's a regression so much as, I'm am physically tired of waking up so much for so many months in a row. We usually get her down to bed around 8:30 or 9 (starting around 7 with our bedtime routine) and she'll wake up at 10:30 for food and then sometimes 12:30 and then 3:40 and then 5am and then 7am. So many wake-ups. And every time its for food. She's not up for long just a good steady nurse and then passes out and is back to sleep. I think a lot of that is because during the day she is so distracted that she doesn't get as full so she makes up her calories at night. Around 7 or 8 am she's awake "for the day" and so we play and then she's back down for a nap around 9 (hence why we don't make it to anything scheduled at 10am). And I definitely take a nap with her. There were a few days where she was awake longer between naps, but she really prefers the one hour awake, one-one and a half hours asleep, routine. Easy when we're at home, not so easy when we're out and about. I sometimes feel back messing up her nap schedule, but I do try to get to a quiet, stable place by 3 so that she can have at least one long, quiet, undisturbed nap. I really let her guide me on her sleep needs because she's pretty vocal and reasonable about what she needs. Plus I try and nap with her as much as possible so that I'm not as dead during the nights. However, my insomnia makes that a daily struggle. I keep reminding myself that she's still a wee baby and this is only a phase and that eventually she will sleep longer. I'm trying to relish the cuddles and the bouncing to sleep because she won't always need me and I might miss it then.
Nap Sleep is her best sleep 

She's growing super fast and is my little buddy. I like to play with her and see how she responds to new toys. Watching her is becoming really neat and time consuming. I don't want to miss anything! Despite her ridiculous sleeping she is still a really good baby who only cries when something is to be done and is even content to play alone from time to time.

David is such an awesome dad with her. He plays with her so much and gets great laughs. In the evenings he is dedicated to Bean Patrol and also is willing to get up with her early in the morning so that I can keep sleeping. If it wasn't for him, I would have definitely moved in with my parents, or checked myself into the funny farm. I can't imagine parenting with anyone less diligent! I know it's sappy but he's really buoyed me up as we try and figure out what will make the Bean happy and healthy.

The next month will bring her first plane ride, seeing her cousins for the first time, daddy's new job and more summer fun! Sometimes I forget that she's just a wee baby because she's such a big girl to me.
Hey Guys!

No comments: