Monday, September 8

David and the DDC: peace out (for now)


 David got discharged from the hospital today!! We found out on Saturday afternoon that this was a possibility since he was making his own blood and his platelets and white blood cells were in a healthy range. I, of course, panic-cried because I was planning for him to come home next week, so had booked the furnace and house cleaning for Thursday and Friday this week. The idea of David coming home, catching a bug and dying felt both ironic and too real. So probably not the response David was hoping for since he was DONE with being at the hospital. 


On Sunday he chatted with staff hematologist and they let him know that he actually has all the blood things he needs to fight disease and infection (in fact his bone marrow slightly overshot the mark and so he has lots of white blood cells) so he’s not immunocompromised. Obviously he’s still weak and tired from the fight but he can have plants and fruits and friends over. That was a huge relief for me - he would not die on my watch, this time. 


So I took today off work and David was told Monday will be the magic day. To start the day he needed a bone marrow biopsy. It’s a pretty hardcore procedure where they numb you to your pelvic bone and then dig out a core sample and some marrow sauce. You may recall that David has super super strong/dense bones. I came in (of course I was late to meet) and the resident was doing the procedure alone and trying his very best. Unfortunately his very best was quite painful for David and he had trouble getting the right angle. After about an hour of numbing and trying to get into the bone the assistant just went and found the staff hematologist. She got in there, aspirated the marrow super fast (that part super stings) and got the marrow core. The resident watched closely but she got the job done in like 20 mins. She was obviously a boss at it. I also watched but watching David be in so much pain for so long and watching them reef on David’s back to get in was a bit much for me. It’s one thing to enjoy an anonymous dr pimple popper patient and an entirely other to watch someone you love just gritting through bone pain. Suffice to say I felt my breakfast in my throat and was sweating a looott. Once they had the goods, I excused myself because they didn’t need two patients. While I stepped out, the bandaged David and got him to rest. 

While we waited for the discharge, we finished our Lego and hung out. The team of residents (different from the biopsy) and staff hematologist (same as biopsy) came back to discuss and discharge David. I got to ask all my questions (chatGPT helped me populate many questions so I would feel all my bases were covered). We were very thorough and they were very patient. David will be going back twice a week for blood tests and to have his main line checked/flushed/serviced (fun fact: his main line came with a manual that he brought home - like you would get with your microwave). We might need some friends to help with driving David to the tests depending on how alert he is feeling. 


David now has 3 weeks for sure until he does the next step. What the next step is will be dependent on his biopsy results, which he should get in 2 weeks. If he is in remission he will do more chemotherapy next. If he’s not in remission, he will do more chemotherapy next. lol. The remission chemo is less intense and can be done as an outpatient. The no-remission chemo is a mystery box and will undoubtedly suck more. 


The kids are really happy to have David home. Especially Sloan feels more settled. We still have help from Hannah the babysitter for the rest of the month so that will ensure David doesn’t overdo things. I am also (now that I’m not panicking) happy to have David back in our bed and now I can kiss him on the mouth!


The ward did a fast for David and our family yesterday which was really touching. Of course this situation has been really hard - I cry 6/7 days a week and David is less of a crier but no less distressed about this turn of events, and yet we are now recipients of so much love from our friends, family and church. If you have to do a really hard thing, it’s amazing to have so many good people in your corner. I’m not sure how we lucked out so well.


We are onto our new normal (again) and hopefully it lasts for a couple of days before we have to pivot again. 

Love you all. Mean it so much. 


No asks tonight. Just gratitude. 

P.s. I am definitely still keeping the cleaning appointments even though they are not required  


No comments: