Friday, September 24

Month in Review

Well as mentioned before school started this month, and even though it's only been 24 days, it seems like so much happened.
First, I started working on campus and that was a bit stressful because I've never started a new job at the same time as starting new classes. It was pretty overwhelming, especially due to the nature of the work, I didn't get trained as much as I needed. I don't really like getting things wrong and, well, without training that happened kind of a lot. The people were really great, but it was hard to notice when I was feeling so uncomfortable with my workmanship.
Second, I got more or less screwed by the SMO faculty because they switched 3 out of 4 professors. That is basically like switching the entire class. It was ridiculous. Luckily I was able to beg and finagle it so that I was able to get into a class with a professor I knew and dilute the unpredictable nature of my other profs. Three weeks in I am liking my classes quite a bit. It is completely different than any year before, due to the fact that the classes are all challenging and require a lot of reading and even more writing/group work. However, I've also been lucky in that I've enjoyed my groups so far. It's a very front heavy semester in that I don't specifically have any finals and only 1 midterm, but I've already done 2 group mini-assignments and have two papers due this week. Kind of ridiculous because there is no time to "get over the summer".
Also I got asked to come back at WD. That was crazy because I had just started a new job and now was considering leaving. I've never done that before and I have skewed loyalty issues so I wasn't sure who I needed to keep/make happy. Eventually I decided to go back to WD because even though it will be more hours which will make school a bit more tricky, I'm really through the majority of the woods with the front heavy work. Plus I make 50% more at WD. But I have to be there 8:30 and I've gotten used to not not showing up in public until 9:00 or 10:00.
Also to make things a little more interesting, I am going back to write for A&E at the Gateway, in fact I am interviewing Colleen Brown today. Since the article is due Sunday, I'm basically going to have to write it today too. Fortunately, I've already kept up to date on my blogging/Facebook. But I think it will be a great chance to get a) more free CDs and b) do something that I like doing.
In other news, we again have a fruit fly problem. I think that September must just be a bad month because we are constantly taking out the garbage and keeping our food & fruit under wraps. It just makes my house feel dirty than it is and I can only spray so many surfaces with bleach before I start wondering about my health. Cleanliness is usually my best plan of attack but they just have way too many ways to get more of them out into our apartment. At least it's not coming from the next door apartment's sink like last time. That was particularly vomit-inducing.
Speaking of our neighbours, it's hopefully going to get better. Dreaded #5 moved out yesterday, or I'm assuming that's what all the noise and stuff being carried through the hall was all about...it's hard to know with them. But there is also a sign out front looking for a new neighbour. We've tried to recruit some friends to live here, but I guess our stories aren't the most successful marketing campaign, even thought it is $790/month including parking and heat. We'll just have to wait and see what's next. It's weird because some people have been here for 5 years (one guy has been here for 30 but he's a curious guy) and then some people can only manage to stay for a month. I think our landlord has a lot to do with that because the people who are only here a month typically get up to some questionable non-neighbour friendly activities. We're just glad there will be some fresh and better neighbours.
Oh one last thing, there was a really cute baby bunny that was always around our car in late August and now he's a teen bunny/rabbit and he's still super cute but he's much more adventurous. His name is Floo Floo and the best moment of his life is when I actually got to watch him eat a flower bud. It was right out of Bambi. He's really the closest thing we have to a pet (which I want but can't have...yet) and the fruit flies don't count.

No comments: