Saturday, September 25

Somethings I forgot

First a sort of housekeeping thing. If you do manage to finish reading one of our entries and you don't feel like commenting there are some voting buttons at the bottom  (yay, sad face, who knew). Please choose one!

Also I forgot to tell you all of David's rippy idea. He has a theory that in the future they will invent a time machine and then researchers will come back in time and follow along someone's life (particularly if they or their progeny is going to do something great) to see what inspired them and caused them to do what they did. And so if you have someone in the periphery of your life who seems to be around randomly then perhaps they are some Ph.D. student from the future who is researching your life for their thesis. This is also the reason you shouldn't confront them about it; it would confound their results. And while I'm not sure if I will do something worthy of future research I have some ideas in my head of who these time-travelling researchers are. But don't worry I won't give it away.

David's other time machine idea is that we are currently living in the best possible case of our world. This is because, again, a time machine will be invented in the future and someone, who hasn't learned anything from the Back to the Futures, will try and make changes so that it is better. Therefore, even when something bad happens it is because the alternative would have been worse and the time travelling people decided to make the best case scenario for everything.

I don't know if that's all that encouraging but I thought I'd let you know what David thinks about when he's left unattended.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be an interesting thesis indeed!

Question: what does "rippy" mean? I know it's been given to me in a sentence but I still can't quite catch the meaning.

Thanks,
Sarah

Davey D said...

Wait! Vanessa! There are PhD students around you all the time at school, and Dave hypothesizes that time-traveling PhD students from the future will constantly attend to those they are studying! Do you see the correlation?! The PhD students you see at school are actually time-traveling PhD students from the future, masquerading as PhD students from today, who are attempting to study your life! For fear of making someone's dissertation much harder than it needs to be, DON'T TALK TO ANYONE AT SCHOOL!

On an unrelated note, lack of sleep has driven everything I've learned about third variables, ruling out rival hypothesize, and falsifiability right out of my mind.

Also, cool blog guys!

David and Vanessa said...

Sarah, in this case it was purely used in the sense of trippy....a typo. But I'm glad you commented!!

Also Dave I should have ruled out talking to other phd students before marrying one, as a result I have taken on the albatross of confounding future science. Hopefully when I learn to time travel I can ask that they rule me out as an outlier.