Saturday, October 5

22 weeks to go

Things are going by so fast. Now I'm starting to see why people always talk about cherishing time because everything is zooming.

These past few weeks have been very busy with work. In particular, I'm doing Campus Recruitment. For those who aren't part of the chaos of accounting firms it means screening 250 applicants for 80 interviews, offering 36 candidates so that hopefully we have 16 new students starting with us in the next 12 months. And this all happens in about 6 weeks. Plus events and counselling and emailing and keeping partners in the loop and doing 'courtesy' interviews (interviews for the neighbour's son's girlfriend who couldn't get in on her own merit alone). It's busy. I love it. But it's exhausting.

Baby bean is still being a bean. Now she/he's the size of an iPhone. And my uterus is the size of a cantaloupe. I keep imagining an iPhone floating around in a hollowed out cantaloupe - it's a weird image.

Fruit aside, on Tuesday we find out if it's a boy bean or a girl bean. As I've mentioned I think it's a girl, but it will be exciting to see either way. Or if it's our child, the bean will be equal parts stubborn and shy and we'll get all the measurements but no 'defining' characteristics. I'm pumped to finally see the little profile on the ultrasound. Somehow I've already got an image in my head of what our baby will look like. I'm not sure where the image has come from but when I see pictures of babies and I can say "yes that is what our baby will look like or no, that's not bean at all". I've rationalized this wacky behaviour by saying that it's how I've started the attachment process; that intuitively I can imagine what a combination of David and I would look like. Pretty sure this isn't the one:

I've also started to feel some nesting needs. The only problem is that we know we're not going to be in our apartment for the nest. So that rules out painting and organizing and cleaning. Instead I have turned to the interwebs. I am determined to do all the possible research needed to find out what products we want and reviews on preferred items. I have learned that the real answer is "it all depends". Maybe our baby likes to be swaddled, maybe it prefers to be loose. Maybe it takes a bottle or not. Soother or not. But there are a few things I've identified we must have, and some I know we have to have (a car seat for example) and I then research the heck out of which one to choose. I've also finally found a website where I can organize all my thoughts: David & Vanessa's Baby List. While this will probably also be helpful when showers/Christmas/birthdays come around, I'm really liking it because it's organizing the things I'm interested in. When people suggest an item, I now have a place to put those thoughts. Plus it helps me get an idea of what things will cost.

My goodness, baby stuff is so expensive!! And so much cheaper in the states. The Baby List is also helping me pace myself too and realize that I don't need to have everything by March 10. Just a car seat and a pack of diapers at that point. Everything else is gravy. Plus this mentality is helping us prioritize our house purchase over hoards of baby what-not that Bean might not even like.

That doesn't mean I haven't bought things. So far I've purchased:
- I am a Bunny (a wonderful board book from my own childhood)
- A baby blanket
- baby socks (from a baby swap meet, $2 for 10 pairs)
- a little furry bear jacket (so soft, brown and bear-ish)
- a breast pump (as sexy as it sounds. Also from the baby swap meet and one of the things I knew that I definitely wanted, regardless of Bean's preferences. I'd really like David to be able to be involved with feedings and feeling close by providing the necessities of life, so I'd like to bottle feed the Bean some breast milk when possible. I got a wicked deal and it was about 30% of the price of the one we saw at Babies' R Us, so I'm definitely feeling confident about that). This will be me making important phone calls all relaxed and cool as I pump it out:

I've also been crafting. Baby things knit up so quickly. So far I've made:
- A baby blanket
- Thumbless gloves
- Leg warmers (which my sister reminded me, look weird on boys, even if they are teal and blue).

Well that's the haps. I keep incubating, or booting up the onboard 3D printer, as was pointed out to me:




No comments: