Thursday, August 28

5 months old

The Bean made it to 5 months, not that I was afraid she wouldn't, though I'm a bit surprised that I did.

And one more so you can see the text:


So what's changed in the last month? It seems like everything and nothing, I was having trouble coming up with what would be her likes and dislikes that would be different from before. But she seems so big compared to last month; more of an independent person. For example, she now understands toys enough to be sad when it gets taken away. Today when I measured her she was playing with her paper log and I didn't want it to get crumpled and soggy, so I just gently took it away. Normally that would have been no big deal and she would have just played with her hands instead, but this time, she cried. I felt bad, but was also really impressed. It means that when her cousin (who is wee too) took her O-ball she actually knew what was going on when she cried and wasn't just crying because she was surprised.

She is getting so interactive which means she is super fun to play with, she loves the song Zoom Zoom Zoom (we're going the moon...) there is a count down before you blast-off (and make baby fly around) and as soon as I start counting she gets really still and then at 1 she wiggles and smiles the whole time she flies around. It's a super easy way to get a smile out of her. I should really video it, because I think it's adorable.

She's started playing "dropsy" where she throws her toys on the ground. She doesn't seem upset when I don't pick them up, but she does really like to throw them down. I pick them up way more times than I should, but I'm a softie. 

I actually really enjoy playing with her, and lately I've made her awake time all about her. Well except first thing in the morning where I eat breakfast and do our daily chore (more about that later). We sing songs and read books and play with her toys. I try and take her to explore different things so that she can take in the world around her. We really only have a few more nice weeks left so I want to make sure we get lots of lovely outside time. She really likes being outside and can spend so much time staring at things and exploring. She even explored grass for the first time (and when I moved her away, she fussed so I would put her back).

She loves exploring things with her hands and even though she's still a tiny drunk when it comes to coordination, she can't get enough of feeling things. Especially faces.

She's discovered her voice and really likes to shout. She'll start shouting and then be surprised by her own voice, pause for a second, and then keep shouting. It's something I really encourage too, since talking is a good thing, but it's a bit tricky at this point to teach her that some places it's ok to yell (i.e. at home) and other places not so much (i.e. sacrament meeting). 

So she's really working on sitting (skipped right past rolling, no rolling her) and she's doing a pretty good job. Obviously she does better when she's propped but sometimes she'll fold too far forward and get stuck. This makes her pretty mad so I've got to keep an eye out. But it means that she's getting sturdier which makes it easier to carry her around and have her on my lap. Though I do have to be careful because sometimes she'll lunge and that could get ugly.

Since it's taken me so long to finish this blog post, I can't really remember what else I meant to say about her growth. She's over 14 lbs now and is getting much longer. It means she doesn't have the same rolly tummy but she is in the 63 percentile for height. Mostly she's just super average (in size, not cuteness) as she fits the clothes pretty much exactly for the age that she is.

This last month we also went to Portland so now the Bean has met all of her cousins! She only has Uncle Mike to meet and then she's met everyone. It was a moderate disaster flying Air Canada (as we should have expected) and flights that should have taken 3 hours start to finish took over 12. Every single one of our 4 flights (Edm-Cgy-Portland and back) were delayed by an hour minimum. However, that didn't mean that we missed the not so fun run through customs (since we didn't know about the delay then). Air travelling we met some really nice people and some not so nice people and some indifferent people. The Bean does win more friends than I would on my own.  We discovered that she really needs to have her ear muffs because being woken up by the announcements was the worst.

Staying with family was great and even though we had a few meltdowns (the baby, not the adults) in rush hour traffic; it was so worth it to connect with everyone and see them face to face. Playing with my nieces and nephews was awesome, as was really getting to sit down with the sisters in law to get to know them better. I was the last to join the family so sometimes I feel like I've missed out on some shared history, but I also think that we're super lucky to be all in laws so that there is no odd one out (I hope me and my sisters are super nice to Scott's future significant other, because now I know what it's like to have it so good). 

We toured around and saw different spots out and around Portland. We went to Powell's which is always awesome and attempted Voodoo Doughnuts (for the 2nd time for us), but it was too lined up. We went to beaches and waterfalls and just generally enjoyed each others' company.



Making silly faces on the beach (where it was so cold)

As for me this last month, I was hit with some Post-Partum Depression that really messed up my rhythm, mojo and chutzpah. I'm working through it and I was actually surprised that it took this long to show up (I figured given my risk factors that it was more or less a sure thing). Amongst other things I have made myself a daily chore so that I'm not so overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done in the house and for the Bean. Each day has a chore and if it doesn't get done, then no biggie as David and I will do it Saturday or I'll do it next week. A house going an extra week without being dusted will not implode (as I can see more clearly now). My insomnia was really kicking my butt too so that didn't help (being awake when everyone is sleeping night after night could make someone without PPD loopy)

Also the Bean was waking up quite a bit at the end of July (about every 3 hours) and it took Portland to reset her to every 4 or 5. Actually Portland reset me too, since we've been back my mood and my sleep patterns have become much more normal.

During that I was really grateful for a supportive and understanding husband who really loves me and wants me to feel my best. The bar I have for myself is so much higher than what everyone else has for me, so it's great to know that he's always by my side even if I'm not hitting my targets. And he's not making any extensive demands on me either.


She's getting so smart! And I'm loving how good natured she generally is. I can't wait to see what things she'll do next but I'm also enjoying my baby smiler bean!






No comments: