Friday, January 1

Potty Training - better known as Parent Training

Day 1 
Ellie is up and no diapers! No protest from her but she didn't want to be naked, so the PJ legs were just tied around her waist (ps no pictures of the naked bean for this - sorry but I don't trust the Internet). We waited and waited and waited for a pee. Nothing. Then she's in the sink playing - a classic Bean favourite - and the first pee was a bit startled by me rushing her to the potty but we kind of made it. And we got excited. A few minutes later the rest of that first pee comes, in the sink. Day one is us chasing pees and not catching any before she's already mid-stream. She does wake up with a dry diaper from her nap but I think that's because her nap was really short. 
Only 5 pees today and it was impossible to get her to drink fluids (always has been, unless she is thirsty so I'm not suprised). No poops and I don't feel like I have any idea what I'm doing or what these mysterious 'cues' are. Also Ellie is sick, but manageable (hopefully)

Day 2 
Ellie's cue turns out to be "I have to pee". She straight up tells us after being awake for 3 hours (how she holds it that long, I have no idea). We celebrate and give high fives. She seems pretty proud. Same for the next pee in the afternoon. Dry diaper (and another terrible nap) on the books. However in the evening we are celebrating New Years and have friends over, which means we're not watching too closely. We also put a skirt on for modesty. Unfortunately it means a pee on the floor (though it seems like she tried to find a good spot and hid behind the table, not just in the hall, which I take as a good sign). And then we had no more skirts, so we put on undies. I know for the method we are following this is totally too early, but with guests, I figured it would be safest. We got a poop. Yay not on the floor and yay not constipated. I wish she had told us she had to go, but she was having fun playing with her little friend and we were distracted. Oh well, tomorrow we start again

Day 3
Naked day, again. She doesn't pee for 2, 3, 4 hours. Then she keeps saying she has to go but doesn't stay on the potty long at all. We try showing dolly how to pee, singing songs, spraying her parts with warm water - nothing. Finally I say, "there's the potty, let me know if you need help". A few minutes later, I hear "i peed!"  She did it all by herself! And now we aren't so worried about putting her down for a nap. The nap diaper isn't dry, but it also took me a bit longer to get her when she woke up because she actually slept well. So that's probably my fault (i need to be a better trained parent). In the afternoon when we're baking she says she has to go and on the second attempt, again does it by herself. It really helps if I'm distracted and not watching her - which I don't really blame her for. I don't like it when people stare at me when I pee. And that's it. 2 pees, no poops. She goofs off with "having to pee" before bed, but she mostly wants to play with the toilet paper. Tomorrow we try pants. And maybe a walk outside (i am a bit worried about pants because the way she gets on the potty requires free leg movement and she likes to be independent, but can't take pants off on her own...we'll see). 

Day 4
First pants day and it was bad. Not just not good but actually bad. We didn't catch any pees in the potty and we wet a lot of pants. I was hoping that it actually might click that having wet pants is yucky and that part did click - everytime she wet, she said "new pants". We were able to go for a walk because we do have a pretty good idea of her pee schedule now, so we timed it right and had no accidents. She's still very out of sorts from teething and her cold so we're working against a lot of factors. She did have a longer nap so that was better-ish, but she did wake up crabby. Today was just awful and I don't feel like I know what's going on. Also cleaning poop out of pants isn't my idea of a good time. If this is supposed to be parent training, then I'm just as clueless as she is. 

Day 5
We have church today so she has to wear pants eventually. This morning we had an accident in pants and so we put her in a skirt with no underwear. She did start to pee but I caught it and ran her over to her potty. She actually finished peeing in the potty (instead of just waiting for fresh pants and peeing then)! But then when she was carrying her pee over to the big potty she tripped, fell in it and hit her head on the door frame so that killed any positive reinforcement. After her nap we went to church and she peed her pants 2 more times (she is drinking more, so that is giving us more chances). Sadly we almost caught the first pee, but the potty seat we have slipped and pinched her bum so she was not going to sit on that anymore. She peed as we were leaving the bathroom. We caught no more pees that day. I did chat with my sister in law and we are going to use a timer to try and remind Ellie to try to pee. Then hopefully she's fighting the timer, rather than us. 

Also I finally figured out her other "I have to pee" signal so that was a win (it's a hand on her bum). It doesn't happen everytime but when it does you know a pee is coming. It was how we caught a poop at bathtime (yay)

Day 6
We are back to naked today with a timer to remind us to try. She doesn't love stopping what she is doing to pee but she does seem to fight he timer less. We caught one pee and it was awesome. We missed the next one since she was playing in the sink and didn't pee the last time the timer went off (it is hard to pee when you're crying and fighting to get down). After a nearly 3 hour nap we caught another pee - we were actually showing dolly how to pee again and she said she had to go and went onto the pot right away. That's as good as we've ever had so I hope that means we might be back on track.  I'm trying to be optimistic that we can try pants again tormow

Day 7
Now we're really getting somewhere! We put on panties in the afternoon today because I was too nervous to try pants again and have the issues we had earlier. Plus cleaning poop out of legs is terrible. The panties are giant on her (one perk of having a very little one) so it was more like a loin cloth that we had to keep up with a clothes pin. But she was awesome. She peed in the potty with ease and told me she had to poop (BUM!!!). She was also super cuddly today and had a nice 2 hour nap. It was really nice after the stress of the last week. Tomorrow I want to do an outing because she will be back at daycare on Thursday


Day 8
More great progress. Really the timer is our thing because it keep us off her case but still gives her lots of reminders. Sometimes I'm afraid she holds it until she hears the timer, but I think as she becomes more practiced in using the potty, that we will all be less dependent on it. She's wearing giant panties again today and in the afternoon we are going to the yarn store. At the yarn store she did super well. I timed it for us to leave right after a pee so that we would have 50 minutes to drive, shop and come home. I also packed so many spare clothes. I may have nagged a bit on our way there to explain how and when she should go pee (and I could tell she was a bit over it). But she was dry the whole trip! When we got home I asked her if she was still dry and she said "yes mommy!" (And she was right). I think daycare will be great!

Day 9 & 10 (Daycare)
The first day at daycare we had an accident right when I dropped her off. I think we both fell into the  same routine and forgot to make the potty the priority. They also missed the poop. But she was dry after her nap and didn't have any pee accidents. The pickup was also a disaster because I didn't want to leave until she peed and she was so worked up from her first day back that there was lots of meltdowns and crying.
The next day went much better. She peed when we arrived and they had her pee before I picked her up  (we have a 20 minute drive so I'm nervous) so everything was much smoother. No accidents! And a dry nap diaper!

Day 11 & 12 (The weekend)
Well we haven't been 100% (we are still getting the hang of peeing right when we wake up) but it's been pretty good and a lot less stress. We feel more like we know what we're doing and the timer keeps us from pestering her. 
No accidents at church, though the toilet terrified her and I had to run home and get one of our ikea potties. We now keep one in the car for when we're out and about. 

Day infinity onward
Ellie is pretty much 99% pee trained and at home we catch the poops. She will tell us when she has to pee which is awesome, but we also check in every 1-2 hours or when transitioning (i.e. Waking up or before we go out). She can hold it too when we tell her we are getting to a potty. Poops seem to be still a bit of a surprise for her (which I don't really understand). You really have to have your eye on her to get her to the potty in time. Daycare has had no luck with them (which I understand a bit, but I wish they would have an occasional win so Ellie would be better able to connect the dots). We only have two poops (one a day on weekends) to do that at home which isn't really enough. 

Mostly I am so proud of the progress Ellie made and how she really has stuck with it. She doesn't wear diapers at all at daycare (not even naps - the first day they tried she said "no diapers" and threw the diaper in the potty, so they have left her without and she hasn't had a mess yet). I am also pretty proud of myself because it was really really really hard and I didn't think we would ever get to this stage. David is rad too. 

Also I am glad to have this information all logged away because I hope it's a bit of a reality check before I train the next one. It was way harder than I was ready for, but I also wouldn't have delayed doing it either. Ellie is definitely ready and it's nice to have her out of diapers. 

No comments: