Sunday, January 29

Finding Meaning

So isn't that what life is about--finding meaning, finding our purpose, finding what drives us. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the "big questions": Where did I come from, Where am I going and Why am I here (although I suppose this post could be tied into the last one). But for me finding out what makes me happy and what makes me feel satisfied at the end of the day is my biggest hurdle.

For me I think it comes down to two things I have trouble escaping. 1) I perpetually compare myself to others/other versions of myself 2) I am a perfectionist.

Finding meaning is something I think about regularly and often just when I think that I've made progress to finding my own meaning I find that I'm unsatisfied. In particular I look at how much time I have and all the things I want to do, there doesn't seem to be enough for it all. And then I look over at the Jones and I want to try those things too. There is so much to do and know and explore.

For example I look at the fact that I am eternally married to the love of my life. I wouldn't undo that decision any day of the week. But then I look at going to a yoga retreat in Bali and wonder how I could be away from him for 2 months.

Or I feel like I'm getting a handle on my work and my career progression and then I read a friend's blog and see how he is purposefully making an effort to change the world or at least improve economic development and/or stimulate forward thinking.

And then I see people who perhaps don't have a degree, a house, a family, a small business or any of those things but they are so content, genuine and happy. And I wonder (somewhat arrogantly I suppose), don't they want more?

It's not that I think I'm doing it wrong, it's that I want to be sure that I'm making the right-est choices (that whole perfectionist thing).

So I wonder, how does someone do all the things they want to, become satisfied with what they have and feel happy and good at the same time? It baffles me.

I think that this whole quest to find meaning is why I am increasingly unsatisfied with my work life. I love my job. I think the work that I do is valuable. But I catch myself thinking that when I'm at work, there could be other things I'd like to do. If I wasn't at work I could read the books I want, sign up for the classes I want and finish all those projects. But then shouldn't I just be grateful that I have a job. And I am, but, but but...

So instead I've become very organized in my time management. I try and do one thing each day that is important to me. Not necessarily fun but is connect to some goal that I have. Monday: Piano, Tuesday: HR Studying, Wednesday: Scouts, Thursday: Yoga, Friday: Friends, Saturday: Cleaning, Sunday: Church/Piano. Not very spontaneous I know, however, it makes me feel like I at least have some control over my meaning and I don't just end up facebooking and watching Jenna Marbles videos all night. But that's only 7 things a week!

And then there's the issue of money. So many things that I want to do have a cost attached (that yoga retreat in Bali!) and so many of the things I must do on cost money (the always expensive car repairs). To do all the things I want whenever I want would be an endless expense--no wonder people buy lottery tickets.

Perhaps I just didn't grasp the concept of If you Give a Mouse a Cookie


I just thought that the moral was to not even start giving mice baked goods. But I want the baked goods and the milk and the next thing and the next. Sometimes it might be easier to be a mouse:

(inner monologue) Not hungry, fur not matted, made a million babies, not eaten by a hawk. Today was a good day


Instead that's not me. I'm a striver. And despite 10ish years of yoga practise I still find it difficult to be present-focused. I'm looking forward to the next thing, the new thing, the neat thing. And I find it all entirely overwhelming and unsatisfying.

So I know that I need to look to the moment without judgement and take each day one at a time, starting each day fresh; to be grateful for all that I already have. But I can't help that it's a bit naive too--the idea of not striving. And perhaps that would be unsatisfying too.

So I ask the blogosphere: How do you find meaning in your life? How do you know how to define yourself? 


*feel free to leave a comment if you do have an insight, otherwise it can be rhetorical.


Oh and because David says that people like blogs with pictures:



No comments: