Friday, January 6

A new leaf and some thoughts on what makes a good scary movie

David here.

The new leaf aspect of this blog post is the fact that there is a post at all. Vanessa wants to blog more often and I want to help out. I will try not to be boring, but I really don't know what sort of blogger I am going to be.

Now, some quick thoughts on what makes a good scary movie.

First of all, I LOVE scary movies. I would watch a scary movie any night of the week. Still, I am not an indiscriminate horror film buff. There are tons of movies that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole either due to incredibly boring/unoriginal plots and/or excessive emphasis on gruesome torture (I'm looking in your general direction Saws/Hostels/99% of serial killer horror movies).

What I like is an original plot or an interesting new perspective on older material. I want my horror to fill me with growing dread and not just depend on sudden horror to scare me. I have to admit, I have a soft spot for monster/creature movies and am slow to warm to purely human sources of horror. I like escapism horror, not plausible horror. 

Some great horror movies listed in no particular order that any would be horror lover should check out:
  1. Suicide Club (or Circle depending in the translation)
  2. Jeepers Creepers 
  3. The Grudge (US remake)
  4. The Ring (US remake)
  5. The Descent
  6. Lost Boys
  7. The Trees
  8. Jaws
  9. The Mothman Prophecies (Surprisingly creepy)
  10. Paranormal activity
I won't waste time with any in depth analysis of any of these films. Our readership is pretty limited and I know that there are dozens more movies worth mentioning (I didn't even scratch the zombie sub-genre). If you want to know more, I'll happily answer questions.

Until later.


No comments: