Wednesday, July 17

Week 6

So according to my apps I am at 6 weeks today! Already half way through the first trimester and apparently my baby is the size of a sweet pea or 0.16 inches. Already I've learned that people measure babies by comparing them to very random objects, usually food. Congratulations, your baby is the size of a gold nugget squash or something equally random that I just end up googling.

In terms of symptoms, I think I've had it really easy. For nausea, I've been at about a 2/10, max 3/10 and considering that most of my life I'm usually hovering around a 1/10 (because everything always makes me nauseous), this is pretty good. Mostly I get a bit gaggy when I take my vitamins (which is not new either). What I've really noticed is that I am very very tired. I can come home from work and have a 45 minute nap, eat dinner and then just watch tv and when it's bed time 3 hours later, I'm out like a light. So so sleepy. Which is better than last week where I was tired but not sleepy.
Also the emotions are getting more tender each day. I've learned that any news articles or Buzzfeeds that say something like, "Read this and you'll be moderately touched" means that I will cry. In fact, I saw a picture of a 2 year old cuddling a kitten and I nearly whimpered. Today at work I got stood up for a meeting and that apparently got me too. I guess I looked so sad that my office mate gave me her pop. The sugar helped, but the gesture almost made me cry again. A stiff upper lip is usually lost on me and pregnancy is no exception.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to go from pimple face to wrinkles - so pregnancy acne is no different than usual, except that now I have an excuse.

Last week all the Lancasters we gathered together in Calgary. It was so lovely to see all the nieces and baby nephews and inlaws - though not so much when I was sleeping. Everyone seemed to be both a night owl and an early bird which was draining, but I got my daily naps so I didn't really have much to complain about.

We made the decision that it would be fun to tell all the adults while they were there. It was great to see everyone's reaction at once, and everyone was so nice in asking me how I was feeling, but I didn't really have much to report about my sunflower seed. It's nice to have some Sisters In Law to ask pregnancy questions - though I really only want to hear success stories at this point. They're an awesome resource, and now I feel like I will get to be in the mommy club.

Now I'm just reading as many books as I possibly can, trying to decide about a natural or epidural (sidenote: I really have discovered how little preference I have on a lot of issues. I really just want the best of both worlds - no drugs and no pain; to be surprised by the gender and to be able to prepare in advance; to sleep with the baby in my bed and to have him/her in her own room; staying at home and getting to work). But I've got 8 months to figure out all those details so I'm trying not too sweat it too much - which means I'm sweating it.

I'm really getting excited to tell people in 6 more weeks that we're expecting - August 28 is the day. Though I am probably going to wait until late October to tell work (after my busy season).

My first doctor's appointment is July 31 and David is going to be fun. I think that this will make everything feel more real too.



No comments: