First he is growing like a weed. He has gained nearly 3 lbs since birth and is two centimetres longer (that's almost a whole inch!). I'm pretty sure most of that length is in his torso since his legs are still pretty stubby. He's just working his way out of newborn clothes into the 0-3 month size.
He still hasn't really settled on a pattern yet but I think he generally likes to be awake for 50-75 minutes and then he's ready to be back down asleep. To get him to sleep he absolutely must be in his swaddle - he loves the tight blanket, and then a bum jiggle while rocking side to side, with some really noisy white noise. He then sleeps for about 45 minutes. At night he'll give us longer stretches, 2-3 hours (sometimes 4), and wakes up just to nurse and have his diaper changed. Though diaper changes seem to wake him up quite a bit so I might cut those out and hope for the best so that we're not up for a hour every feed in the night.
He's a good little nurser (as shown by his weight) and would probably nurse every hour if he could. I try and keep it to 2-3 hours so that I don't feel like I'm nursing all day. But it is sure neat to have a baby that really enjoys nursing not just for food but for comfort too. So I'll nurse him a bit if we're about to do something he doesn't like, like going in his carseat. I figure it will sedate him enough that he can stay calm until the car gets moving.
He's a lot gassier and spits up more than Ellie. In fact I'm pretty sure he has reflux because he grunts to much and it sounds like he's trying to clear his throat. I feel bad for him because we have to put him on his back to sleep but he sleeps so much better upright - unfortunately I cannot sleep well with a baby on me, so we make due with what we can (I've also discovered that I'm not a fan of sleeping with white noise, hopefully I get used to that soon).
Sloan loves people talking to him and David pointed out that he always looks to find out where my voice is coming from. He's very attuned to sounds and looks around quite a bit. Sometimes that means he really flops around in your arms as her tries to control his head and see what is going on. He has pretty good head control but I forgot just how floppy newborns are!
I still feel like I don't really know who Sloan is and that there is so much more to him that I will be uncovering. He sure is cute and I'm glad to have a baby cuddling on me again.
Ellie love loves her brother. She always wants to hold his hand for diaper changes and in the car she says "I know, Swoany boney, I know, almost there" when he's crying. She constantly wants to give him a soother and likes to hold him on her lap. We're really lucky that she is so good to him and that we're not dealing with any overt jealousy issues. She's been at daycare this month so I hope that has helped eased the transition.
I can't wait to get to know Sloan more next month and all the months after that.
Here are some of his newborn photos















No comments:
Post a Comment