Since he is 2 months old he has become incredibly smiley. He loves when he's on his playmat and I lean over and talk to him. He actually love loves his playmat - all the freedom to kick and punch as much as he likes but still has things to look at. Often if he's fussy and he's full, changed and recently napped, then I know it's time to stick him on his playmat. However just because he doesn't want to be held doesn't mean he wants to be alone - if we leave the room then he gets really fussy. He's so social!
Some other things he likes: showers (so much easier to bathe both of us at the same time, especially since he doesn't mind the floor time while I wash my hair first), sucking his fist (I'm not sure he knows it's his hand, but he's pretty happy when he finds it), getting swaddled (when he's getting tired he will give such a big smile as I swaddle him) and nursing (he could nurse all day - that's how he gets to be more than 13 pounds in 8 weeks)
Things he doesn't like: that dang car seat! I don't know why we have invented touch screen tablets but haven't created a car seat that doesn't make a baby cry while keeping them safe. He cries everytime the car stops moving and sometimes in between so I've gotten pretty good at finding routes with the fewest lights. Sleeping with any regular pattern. He knows his days and nights and doesn't usually keep us up in the middle of the night trying to party, but he'll go to sleep between 8pm or midnight and will wake up between 1 and 6 hours to eat and then wake up for the day between 4:30 and 8:30am. During the day he goes to sleep after about an hour of being awake, but then sleeps for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Sometimes he likes to have a nursing snack in the middle of his nap, too. I'm trying not to be too bothered about the sleep and too pressed to get him onto a schedule, but I'm type A and I like to have a plan.
On the other hand it's probably best that he's not determined to be on a schedule because having two little ones makes it a bit tricky to follow any particular pattern. In the morning we are often going to a play date or the library, so it means a noisy nap and often in his car seat. It's a good thing he's such a happy boy.
Some fun Sloan facts:
- All the baby hair on the top of his head fell out and now he has new baby fuzz growing in and it is so so soft. I rub his head constantly because it's just so fuzzy - like a baby chick and a hamster in one!
- He only wore his newborn clothes for about 2 weeks and now he is nearly out of his 3 month size clothes
- He likes to hold these little foam noodles we got from the dollar store and swat them around (well, again, I'm not sure he knows what he's doing but he'll do it).
That's the real thing I've learned about Sloan - he is such a happy boy. He is easy to get a smile out of and easy to calm. He still has his needs and he's still a newborn, but he is a sweet happy boy. Not easy, just happy.
Ellie continues to adore him. She had a few setbacks at the beginning of May when she switched to part time daycare, the switching back and forth between home and school was confusing her. So we were having tantrums and more accidents but it looks like that has mostly resolved itself on its own (well the tantrums ebb and flow depending on the day but that is likely toddler stuff).
Overall I am adjusting to life with two and I'm getting to know Sloan better.


No comments:
Post a Comment