Thursday, April 29

Rainy Day

So you might recall as per my last post (2 posts ago) that I had all sorts of lovely walking about plans for my week off. Well today it rained on my parade, literally. So I decided to make some foods for dinner. I can't really cook because I don't have a lot of skill base. I know how to mix things and I can read directions. But if it's not included in the directions, I'm not going to think about it so things can go horribly awry. That is why I love online recipes because there is all sorts of commentary that helps me make the changes that real cooks come up with. Also I like Ms. Humble's baking (sidenote: most of the things are far more complicated and time consuming so I'll never attempt them, but I've never had a failure with what I've tried) . So that's what I used today when making foods. On the menu: salad with cranberries, walnut and orange peppers, butternut squash ravioli with sage butter sauce, and for dessert red velvet cake with chocolate icing.

The Results:

Well the salad was delicious but I have to remember that less is more with salad dressing (well except in my opinion Caesar). So I would change that.
Second the ravioli squash was ok. Really only 3 out of 5 stars, although David liked it. Like most of the commentors on the recipe, I agreed that there was too much spice, because I would  really like to taste more squash. Basically the spices made it way too rich. One thing I really did like was using wonton wrappers instead of pasta. It was super easy and just as yummy. The sage butter sauce was a complete disaster, mostly I think because I don't like sage. On of the hazards of allrecipes.com
Lastly the cake: Super yummy. A much more adult flavoured cake in that it's not super sweet and yummy dense. However, I didn't know how much an oz of food colouring was so I put in some. It turned into pink velvet cake. Still super yummy. Ms. Humble has never let me down yet.

I really like cooking though, I like trying things that require a little more preparation than just add water sort of recipes. Usually I don't have time for all this cooking but that's one of the lovelies of having a day off.

Edit: I started this post yesterday after the meal, but then finished it this morning. Today I have to work, which means less tasty foods. But hopefully not leftovers because I'm really not a fan of the ravioli.

No comments: