Saturday, June 19

Camp for Scamps

So last night was our scout camp (yes only 1 night because they were 11 and the camp was within city limits). And while the scout part was awesome, minus a few details*, the part that made me want to get back in the car and make the 25 minute drive home was a bad decision made by me and a bad decision made by several others.

First my bad decision. I thought that the ground here in edmonton was a spectacular brand of soft and would not require the highly recommended foamy. I don't know why I thought this, I really have no explanation because every other camp I had a super foamy or air mattress. Needless to say, I really couldn't get comfortable except when there would be moments of silence.

Which brings me to the next bad decision. Our neighbours (and lets be serious everyone is your neighbour when you're sleeping in a tent) did what campers between the ages of 18-30 regularly do. GET WASTED. Unfortunately for everyone else this meant that we were subject to the lyrical stylings of MC Beer Bong and DJ Jello Shots. It became immediately obviously why their music is not selling albums. Rhyming the same swear with itself is not only offensive but just plain lazy. So between the hours of 1-3 or so we were forced to listen to this crew spit rhymes in between bouts of vomiting (yes we got to hear some of that too). Unfortunately you can't reason with drunks and so I didn't waste my breath convincing them to go to sleep and just rolled around in the tent uncomfortably

David did suggest that we go and sleep in our car which significantly blocked out the noise. However, our car is most definitely a compact car and before my legs fell asleep I was able to sleep myself.

Next scout camp (if we ever get to relive this experience) I will insist on the woods. Not only is there more likely grass that could cushion my bad decisions but fewer rap artists. And we wouldn't have to apologize to people parents for exposing their kids to more bad language than showcase on a friday night.

Overall I can't wait to sleep in my bed tonight. Pillowtop was a really really good decision


*I.E. on the way to the bathroom one scout demands a 4 year old boy "where are your parents", and setting up tents is always a little bit more tricky than expected.

No comments: