So those of you who read my blog now is your opportunity to come out of the woodwork in the comment section and provide some advice. I'm not sure what Emily Post would do in this situation so I need an external perspective. It involves the internets and social graces are very rarely explained/used here so I'm at a loss as to the appropriate course of action. So, what would you do in the following situation.
I am in a book club and we read some pretty great books. The signing up of hosting also enables you to choose a book to be read by everyone in the book club. It is usually a free for all of signing up, a first come first served. The girl who is usually the one who scheduled everyone is now overseas and so we are kind of doing the scheduling ourselves using the Facebook group as the mainline of conversation. Typically there is one book club meeting a month to give everyone time to read the book (and even then there is usually only about 1/3 read and 1/2 attendance--not a super serious book club).
When I went to get a book for the May book club session I also found a book that I wanted to read. So on the Facebook page I wrote that I would like to host in August. Someone had already said July and June so this was actually the only month left. Normally things don't get planned that quickly but everyone I guess wanted to get their picks in for everyone to read. Plus it is fun to host.
As it stands I thought I had picked August to be my month to host (this was May 31, so over a month ago). But yesterday at a birthday party for one of the club members I was informed that the birthday girl was now hosting in July and had picked her book (although likely not purchased) and the girl in July had graciously decided to move her date to August (my month, in case this is getting confusing). Now the girl bumping me had no selection for her date but has a new house she'll want to show off and by the end of the fairly brief conversation she had chosen a book. But by inserting this new plan for July I basically got pushed aside. I mentioned that I thought I was hosting in August, and it was suggested that I host a 2nd one in July, but I know that a) probably everyone will be too busy to come and b) probably nobody will be able to read 2 books in 1 month. It would be scheduled and I would get all excited and 1 other person would come with at 50:50 chance that they had read the book. Really it was an effort at consolation for pushing me out of the summer plan, but probably wouldn't require commitment from others.
So I don't know what I should do. I already bought the book so there is a little bit of a financial investment but I could just read it on my own.
Mostly I just feel that it was really inconsiderate of them and I don't know if I should say something or just let it go. I'm not super great friends with either of the two girls involved so they wouldn't probably not be too hurt if I left the book club altogether or if I kept it to myself. In fact, I'm afraid if I said something that they would be like, "we've already decided, sorry" and just would continue on because it really wouldn't make any difference to them. However, I'd like to think that I'm not a pushover either.
Help!
3 comments:
Hey Ness - that sucks! I hate when people are inconsiderate/unorganized. It sounds like the departure of the main organizer has created some problems.
I think it's okay to say to everyone: Hey, I see that there is some rearranging going on, but I was originally slotted to host the August meeting and I was really looking forward to it. I'd like to keep my host spot and I've already picked a great book for us!
Alternately, if you decide that you don't care, that's cool too. You can enjoy the book on your own, or let me know what it is and we can enjoy an old school book club phone call!
It's Hey Nostradamus by Douglas Coupland and I would much rather read it with you guys. I think starting up the book club phone call would be way awesome!
Hey Nostradamus is a great read!! You'll enjoy it whether or not it is discussed at a book club. Have you read other Douglas Coupland books? Jpod is by far his best!
As for your club situation: Is there a fall schedule for the book club? You deserve the first pick for any new schedule created.
Post a Comment