Tuesday, September 25

Riding the Bus is Hard

So we moved to a new place 10 blocks west of where we used to live (our landlord sold our old place so we were forced to look elsewhere). Overall the place is awesome, if a bit small, and we really like the floorplan. Unfortunately, it's not as near to the LRT as our old place so I have to take buses to get places.

Buses are a challenge for the punctuality-challenged. I'm sure you are aware, but they have this system where the bus arrives at a prescribed time (in theory) and they don't wait there long and there is usually an extended period of time between arrivals. So if you leave your house at the time the bus is supposed to arrive, you're likely not going to make it in time.

I am lucky that there are several buses that come by that are all going the same way, but I think it would be really nice if I could arrive early for the bus and then always catch the one I want.

Most people assume, incorrectly, that the solution is to just leave the house earlier. I've tried this, it doesn't work. Not for me who doesn't understand the concept of "earlier". It's foreign. I don't know what that even looks like.

So instead, I will get faster. Faster at running, faster at dodging vehicles as I jaywalk through rush hour traffic, faster at finding my keys/wallet/ID tags. Or maybe the bus will be late, that would be nice. But it can only be as late as I am. Any later and then it's the reason that I'm late (me trying to fit in one more morning activity is not the problem, I'm sure).


No comments: