Thursday night David started his chemotherapy! Hooray! 🎉 this means that all the tests came back that he is in good health (no infections) and ready to go.
David’s chemo is a 7+3 protocol which means he has one drug (cytarabine) in a continuous drip for 7 days and a second drug (idarubicin) once a day for 3 days. They start together. The idarubicin is the colour of kool-aid which was so wacky. It remains to be seen, if David will start smashing through walls shouting “oh yeah”.
Thankfully David says that he sleeping quite well and fills his days with walks and naps, plus all the testing and monitoring that happens about every few hours. He also started watching the new Dexter.
On the home front, the kids finished a week of no camp and just playing. Ellie is pretty much over her jet lag. On Thursday it was just the two of them and they did so many great things. It was awesome to come down after work and have the dishes totally done. (Full transparency it was asked of them, but wild I only had to ask once and they didn’t need further instructions)
I am sleeping terribly and can’t seem to get more than 4-5 hours a night, so I’ll be visiting a doctor about that. Plus I’m doing some Olympic level jaw clenching, so I reached out to my dentist for some options there. Despite my body obviously processing things intensely, mentally I’m doing really well. I had an appointment with my therapist on Friday and that always helps me process what’s going on. I generally feel a 6-8 out of 10 most of the time. We have amazing friends who feed us breakfast and check in on us. As I sobbed opening an incredibly thoughtful care package from some friends, I told QQ “I don’t know what to do with all this love.” So thank you so so much.
At this point in addition to prayers, please feel free to visit David and give him some company. He’s at the U of A hospital in 5FA. He appreciates any and all snacks - but especially those that are chocolate and peanut butter. But you don’t need to bring anything. Just some chat.
Please pray for:
- David’s body to be very responsive to the chemo
- for the side effects to be manageable
- for the staff on his floor to feel alert and responsive
- for me to sleep better
We love you all. Please feel free to keep checking in and connecting - you’re not bothering us. We feel the prayers keeping spirits up and know that David is in the care of the Lord (like he always has been, and like we all are)
Xoxo 💜💜


4 comments:
Thanks for sharing Vanessa. You are all on my mind daily. Wish I was closer.
Thanks for the updates, we'll be praying.
Thanks for sharing, prayers and especially for you Vanessa for more sleep and rest.
The Kool-Aid man image is perfect — fingers crossed David keeps it to the catchphrase and not the wall-smashing. Really grateful to hear the chemo’s already doing its thing and that the team has a plan for every angle.
Praying the side effects stay manageable, that the staff keeps sharp, and that you get more than those 4–5 hours of sleep soon. You’re carrying a lot — hope you can let all the love coming your way hold some of it for you.
Post a Comment